Thursday, December 20, 2007

Accountability


"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad."1


My friend Graham was only 44 when cancer struck him down. When they discovered the disease, it had gone too far. Not long before he died I asked him, "What does it feel like to be 44 and in your situation?"


He sat in silence for quite a while as he pondered the question. And then he said some things I will never forget. He felt angry in that there was so much more he wanted to do with his life and now it was too late. He felt guilty because he had been too busy too much of the time and hadn't spent enough time with his wife and children and now that opportunity was gone forever. And then, after more thought, he said, "I wonder if I have ever done anything that has been truly worthwhile with my life."


Those words certainly made me think—and I've never forgotten them.


According to God's Word, the Bible, "It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment [of God]."2 The good news is that if we have lived for and served God faithfully, we will be rewarded accordingly. If not, we will also be rewarded accordingly.


Hopefully for all our readers when we meet God face to face, it will be a very exciting time as we hear him say to each of us, "Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Lord."3


But if we are NOT true followers of Jesus, we will hear God say something terrible: "Depart from me for I never knew you."4


Fortunately, none of us ever has to hear God say this to us for he has provided a full and free pardon for all of our sins and has the gift of eternal life for all who accept His wonderful and FREE gift of forgiveness and salvation.


If you haven't done so already, be sure to accept God's pardon and His gift of eternal life today. Whatever you do, don't leave Earth without it! To help you do this go to: http://tinyurl.com/8glq9


Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that you gave your Son, Jesus, to die on the cross to pay the penalty for all my sins and provide for me a free pardon and the gift of eternal life. Help me to so live for you that when I meet you face to face, I will hear your wonderful words, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Lord.' Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."


1. The Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 5:10).

2. Hebrews 9:27.

3. Jesus (See Matthew 25:21).

4. Jesus (See Matthew 7:23).


Credit: Daily Encounter

No comments: