Monday, November 26, 2007

Appreciating Life

Good morning to all of you, I know that last week I wrote promising certain things and I did not deliver and for this I humbly apologise. I have been so busy this past week and its not letting up anytime soon. So for now please be Ministered by the message below until we meet again.


"Prepare to meet your God."1

"The popular actress Mary Tyler Moore is admired not only for her professional accomplishments, but also for the way she has coped with a series of personal tragedies. Her sister died in 1978. A year later she lost her only son, Richard, at age twenty-four. Then her brother succumbed to kidney cancer. This was followed by the death of her mother.

"As if these traumatic experiences were not enough to defeat anyone, Mary Tyler Moore has battled diabetes since she was in her twenties. This courageous survivor says, 'The pain is just as intense as it is for someone who gives up and gives in.'

"Her suffering has made her more sensitive and responsive; more grateful for life. 'I appreciate,' she continues, 'much more now. I don't take tomorrow for granted, because it simply may not be there.'"2

Gutsy lady. Wise woman. It is well known that most people who develop a depth of character and inner strength have gone through oftentimes intense suffering, but I can't help but wonder how few don't (especially in the Western world) take life for granted.

The reality is that none of us has any guarantee of tomorrow. Earlier this month on the I-5 freeway close to our home the traffic was slowed to a standstill. All the vehicles ahead had stopped when a semi-trailer slammed into the car in front of it instantly killing all four young children who were in the car! A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago although nowhere near as drastic. I, along with several other cars, had stopped at a red light when suddenly we were ploughed into from behind by a heavy pickup truck causing a five-car pile up. I thanked God that I wasn't killed or seriously hurt. My vehicle was a mess.

Life is fragile. It is not only important that we don't take life for granted, but also that we prepare today for tomorrow's life after life. Eternity is forever. Whatever you do make absolute sure you have your "passport for heaven" without which you will not be able to gain entry into God's heaven any more than you could gain entry into Australia, England, Germany, the U.S.A or numerous other countries without a valid passport. To obtain your passport to Heaven go to: "Passport for Heaven" at: http://tinyurl.com/dm472.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me to realize that this life is fragile and that there are no guarantees for tomorrow and that I need to be prepared for life after life. Please help me to obtain my 'Passport' for entry into your heaven. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Amos 4:12 (NIV).
2. G. Curtis Jones and Paul H. Hones, 500 Illustrations Stories from Life for Preaching and Teaching, Abingdon Press. Cited in Encounter magazine (ACTS Int. Australia, April-May, 2007.

Credit: Daily Encounter

No comments: