Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Getting God's Guidance

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths."1

A Daily Encounter reader writes, "My husband and I started a business a year ago and it has been a constant struggle. How can we know if what we are doing is God's goal/purpose for us?"
First, as indicated you are doing the right thing by seeking God's direction in prayer.
Second, are you gifted for the work that you are doing? I don't believe God ever calls us to do things that he hasn't already gifted us for.
Third, are you adequately trained for what you are doing? This is a constant challenge in today's competitive world because if we don't keep upgrading our training, we can easily get left behind.
Fourth, is what you are doing in harmony with the will of God based on principles as found in his Word, the Bible? This is very important if we are to get God's blessing.

Fifth, is what you are doing a business or service that people want? It doesn't matter how good a product or service is, if people don't want it, it won't succeed.

Sixth, keep in mind, too, that a big percentage of new businesses never survive. It takes all of the above plus hard work, determination, and stick-ability. Very few successful projects happen without these qualities.

Seventh, above all we need to keep seeking God's direction by every day committing and trusting our life, our loved ones, our work, and all that we are doing to the Lord in prayer. By way of interest, whenever I have a problem, challenge, question or struggle, I always ask God to face me with the truth and reality of the situation I am in. Once I see the truth and reality I pretty much know what I need to do.

I trust these few thoughts will be helpful.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that you are interested in every detail of my life. Again this day I commit and trust every aspect of my life to you. Please give me the insight to see the reality in every situation I am in. And then, help me to know what I need to do and give me the courage to do it no matter what it is. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Solomon (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Credit: Daily Encounter

No comments: